Friday 6 January 2012

Making Progress

I am very conscious that recently my blog has been more and more about Freya, and books and Christmas etc. and very little to do with quilting!  But the good news is I have been working really hard on my texture module and very soon there will be lots to share.  I have managed to complete my first sample for this module, the Hawaiian applique sample (see previous blog post) and this involved lots of hand quilting and straining of the eyes as I sewed black onto black by hand.  I am now in the planning stages of a machine bias applique sample, and I have found a nice celtic design of a butterfly which I am going to attempt...watch this space! 

One of the other requirements for this module is to make your own papers, using a black and white theme.   I had a fun afternoon getting very messy and came up with 9 papers in total.  I mainly used black ink, and also bleach, a straw to blow the ink, crayon and masking tape as a resist and a sponge.    Below is a picture of some small versions that I made to put in my portfolio;




I was very careful to protect all the surfaces in our kitchen, but one thing I didn't cover was my hands - they are still stained two days later!  I think latex gloves will be needed next time! 

I have also come up with a different way to present my research on texture and my chosen artist (Claude Monet) and so when these bits are complete I will share a picture or two as well. 

This week I have been ultra indulgent and purchased another quilting book 'Quilting From Little Things' by Sarah Fielke.  Jersey Post has done itself proud and managed to deliver it to me in just a couple of days (unheard of!) and I am desperate to sit down and have a really good read.  Her quilts are just so beautiful and her work so inspiring.  In this book there are smaller projects and what she refers to as 'dolly quilts.' So once I have completed the Texture module I am going to throw caution to the wind and make one, before moving on to module 5.  I love my C and G course, but over a year has passed and so far I have not made a quilt at all and I just can't wait any longer!

1 comment:

  1. Just checked out the Sarah Fielke blog/website and loved her style ... can't wait to see the quilts you make. I didn't realise you was an Aussie, I'll keep my eye out for her books and fabrics now.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment - I would love to hear from you!